Dr. Melissa Welby is a Harvard-trained psychiatrist passionate about improving people’s mental health, whether through one-on-one treatment, writing, advocating, or speaking to groups. She is an experienced, caring, and capable psychiatrist who believes there is no true health without mental health.
Psychiatrist in private practice:
An accurate diagnostician and skilled therapist with extensive knowledge of mental health treatments, Dr. Welby provides personalized treatment using effective, evidence-based therapies. She believes care is optimized when there’s a partnership between the patient and the physician.
Appointments take place in her office or remotely via telepsychiatry (video conferencing) from the comfort of home or office. Her specialties include treating depression, anxiety, adult attention deficit disorder, bipolar disorder, and college mental health.
Healthcare writer and Social Media expert:
Dr. Welby’s goal is to help the world take charge of their mental health by making the evidence-based psychiatry and mental health information available to anyone who needs it. Her blog empowers readers by providing free education and the tools required for action and change.
She is active on social media countering rampant medical misinformation and reducing stigma through education and improved understanding of mental illness.
She was honored by LinkedIn, who awarded her with a “Top Voice” title after they named her a top 10 voice in healthcare. Despite being a platform made for business, her articles focused on mental health, suicide prevention, and wellness strategies are read by up to 40K readers.
Dr. Welby is a social media expert at the Harvard Writing, Publishing, and Social Media for Healthcare Professionals conference, teaching other physicians how to effectively harness the power of social media.
Mental health and physician advocate:
Dr. Welby is active in her medical societies taking leadership roles so she can better advocate for her patients and her profession. She was President of the Connecticut Psychiatric Society (2017-2018) and is current President of the Fairfield/Litchfield County Psychiatric Society (2014-present).
She works to destigmatize mental illness, address inequalities in insurance coverage, and the harmful policies that increase physician burnout and prevent patients from receiving the care they need, and create safe solutions for shortages in access to psychiatric care.
Dr. Welby led the recent (2018) successful push to change the law in Connecticut surrounding telepsychiatry. She helped the Connecticut Psychiatric Society draft and submit a bill and testified to support that bill. This law has improved access to psychiatric care in Connecticut.
In 2019 she was honored to receive the Cornelis Boelhower Distinguished Service Award from the Connecticut Psychiatric Society.
Physician speaker and educator:
Whether it’s testifying in the legislature, teaching physicians about the benefits of telepsychiatry, and how to use social media to amplify healthcare and contribute to global wellness, or delivering motivating talks to non-medical audiences, private groups, or college students, Dr. Welby connects with her audience.
Her specialties include maximizing health, wellness, and resiliency, management of adult ADHD, social media and medicine, and integration of telepsychiatry into private practice.
She has a talent for translating medical information into relatable content meant to inspire action, reduce stigma, and empower individuals to take charge of their health. Reach out to inquire about having Dr. Welby speak at your event.
- Board-Certified in General Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 2005-present
- Internship & Residency, Cambridge Hospital, affiliate of Harvard Medical School, 2000-2004
- Medical School, Albany Medical College, 2000
- Private Practice, 2004-Present
- Milford Hospital, Consulting Psychiatrist, 2007-2015
- Bridges, A Community Support System, Inc., 2004-2012
– Assistant Medical Director, 2004-2006
- Mount Auburn Hospital, 2003-2004
- Tewksbury State Hospital, 2002-2004
- Cambridge Hospital, 2000-2004
Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Psychiatric Society, Immediate Past President 2018-2019, President 2017-2018, President-elect 2016-2017, Treasurer 2015-2016
- Fairfield/Litchfield County Psychiatric Society, President since 2014
- American Psychiatric Association, Fellow
- American Medical Association
- American Telemedicine Association
- Women’s Medical Association of Fairfield County
- Association of Women Psychiatrists
- Young Parent Program of Milford, Board Member 2013-2015