I’m frequently asked about what books I recommended on different mental health topics so I decided to compile a list of these books on my website. In this post, I will highlight my recommendations for the best ADHD books. There are many great ADHD books written but these are some of my favorites. These books about ADHD will benefit parents trying to help their children understand the diagnosis, couples struggling in their relationship because of the effects of ADHD, and adults with ADHD wanting to learn about executive dysfunction and be more aware of the ways ADHD has affected their lives.
My top recommendations for books on ADHD:
The 2 best ADHD books to help your relationship:
ADHD can be tough on a relationship. These two ADHD books are a good place to start for more understanding about its effects and helpful solutions. These books about ADHD are helpful both for the person with ADHD and their partner. If your relationship is strained as a result of a partner’s ADHD read these books for practical advice on how to rebuild and reconnect:
1. The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps,
2. Is it You, Me or Adult ADD? [amazon_link asins=’1886941971,0981548709′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’drmelissawelb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8603a35b-cf09-11e7-aab9-0d7091fdf58a’]
The effects of growing up with ADHD:
Growing up with ADHD can impact self-esteem and feelings about one’s competency and self-worth. It wasn’t until recently that adult ADHD was more widely recognized as a real disorder. In the past, only kids with hyperactive and disruptive ADHD symptoms were recognized and treated. This has left generations of adults with little understanding of why things were harder for them. This ADHD book is for you:
3. You mean I’m not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?! [amazon_link asins=’0743264487′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’drmelissawelb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’9e38b07d-cf09-11e7-a785-cd7c6d8344c6′]
ADHD book full of resources:
This book is a classic and was ahead of its time in introducing the topic of ADHD to millions of people. It is a great resource to help understand ADHD, coping strategies, myths, and treatment options:
4. Driven to Distraction [amazon_link asins=’0307743152′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’drmelissawelb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’b8706b71-cf09-11e7-9f96-259daaff3646′]
The best ADHD books to overcome executive dysfunction:
Executive functioning (the ability to plan and execute daily tasks) is often impaired in ADHD. As an adult with ADHD, some of the hyperactive symptoms may have faded since childhood but often executive dysfunction remains. Medication for ADHD is better at treating attention and impulsivity than it is at solving executive dysfunction. These books can help people identify executive dysfunction in themselves or their children and give strategies to overcome it. Addressing executive dysfunction can be life changing!
5. Understand Your Brain, Get More Done: The ADHD Executive Functions Workbook,
6. Organizing Solutions for People With ADHD,
7. Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary “Executive Skills” Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential [amazon_link asins=’1593854455,1609182294,1592335128,1886941394′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’drmelissawelb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’051d7b23-cf0a-11e7-9aaa-a57b3256411c’]
2 books about ADHD to help children understand the diagnosis:
Having ADHD can be confusing for children and parents often struggle with how to explain it. These are two great ADHD books that present the topic in an understandable, entertaining, and child-friendly way:
8. Cory Stories: A Kid’s Book About Living with ADHD,
9. All Dogs Have ADHD [amazon_link asins=’1591471540,1843106515′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’drmelissawelb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2a7e9205-cf0a-11e7-8c5a-717d7d30d422′]
ADHD and the benefits of exercise:
This is an excellent book about the connection between exercise and the brain. Spoiler alert: exercise is helpful for ADHD! It is an enjoyable read presenting research and information on the mind-body connection. This book may be all the motivation you need to get up and exercise!
10. Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain [amazon_link asins=’0316113514′ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’drmelissawelb-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3c682464-cf0a-11e7-af17-fb3c142ec560′]
Read more about ADHD:
ADHD medication and the potential lack of equivalence between brand and generic Concerta.
And for the 5 BEST apps for ADHD enter your email below!